Leading amateur golfer Cecil K Hutchison joined forces with James Braid in 1914 to design the King’s Course at Gleneagles. Within a decade he had added Tadmarton Heath to his portfolio.
The club was officially opened on the site of Holiwell Farm in October 1922 with an exhibition match between Cyril Tolley, twice British Amateur champion and winner of the French Open, and Roger Wethered who went on to win the British Amateur title the following year.
The annual membership was £5 with ladies admitted on equal terms.
The club prospered during the pre-war years and boasted a number of leading amateur players including John Beaumont Pease, the club president, who reached the quarter-finals of the British Amateur Championship at the age of 58. A trophy was presented in his honour and remains one of Tadmarton’s most prestigious competitions, open to leading amateurs from around the region.
Like many clubs across the country the war effort meant that fairways gave way to crops during the 1940s and the US army also used the land for tank training causing considerable damage. It was a tribute to the efforts of the greenkeeping staff, aided by German prisoners of war, that play resumed on all 18 holes in 1947.
Six members of Tadmarton Heath have held the office of Captain of the R&A. They are the 2016 Captain, Mr. Gavin Caldwell and Peter Gardiner-Hill, Sir John Simon, Cyril Tolley, Lord Wardington and Roger Wethered.